Cool Algae Facts!
Here are ten cool algae facts that you can use to impress your friends and teachers?
1) The oceans cover about 71% of the Earth’s surface, yet algae produce more than 71% of the Earth’s oxygen; in fact, some scientists believe that algae produce 87% of the world’s oxygen. They also help remove huge amounts of Carbon Dioxide.
2) Some algae are so cool, they can live in the snow, just like the pink-colored algae in the picture below.
3) Some algae can live in boiling hot water, like these yellow, green, and orange algae in Yellowstone National Park.
4) Oxygen was poisonous to the organisms that populated the early Earth. By producing oxygen, the first algae may have created the greatest toxic waste crisis in history.
5) The descendants of some of the first algae probably live inside your cells.
6) Some algae seem more like animals than plants.
7) Some algae even hunt and kill fish for food!
8) Fossilized Algae are used to make dynamite.
9) Algae may have caused one of the most famous miracles in the Bible.
10) Algae may be able to help save the planet.
Science and CMMS Computer Info:
CMMS and Wind Energy
CMMS Management System on Science.gov
Great Book about Algae
Return from Algae Facts to What is Algae?